Even a small amount of water can cause significant damage to your home. Whether it finds its way into your home via your roof or basement or as the result of a plumbing leak, the result is the same – water damage and mold growth.
Dealing with water isn’t as simple as cleaning up visible water. Water seeps into the smallest gaps and cracks, and when not dried properly, it can cause structural damage to your home and facilitate the growth of mildew. For these reasons, it’s almost always necessary to hire a professional for water damage repair.
Water damage repair is a complicated project that needs to be left to the professionals. However, as a homeowner, there are several steps you can take to prevent water damage in the first place.
How to Prevent Water Damage
- Keep your gutters and downspouts clean. Leaves and other debris prevent water from properly flowing away from your home. When cleaning your gutters, watch out for problems like cracks and sagging. If
you notice any damage, have it repaired immediately.
- Make sure your gutters extend away from your home. Gutters should extend at least 10 feet beyond your home’s foundation and sloped away at least 6 inches over a span of 10 feet. This helps prevent basement flooding.
- Install a sump pump. A sump pump with a battery backup system will immediately remove excess water from your basement or crawl space, preventing water damage before it has time to occur.
- Check your home for leaks. Even small leaks can lead to major problems. As a homeowner, it’s important to routinely check for leaks under sinks and around toilets. You should also check for signs of moisture on ceilings, in basements and around your tub or shower. If you find a small leak, repair it immediately to prevent water damage and mold growth.
- Pay attention to your water bill. Your water bill is a good indicator of leaks in your home. Pay attention to your monthly bill, and if it’s suddenly higher without a known cause, a leak is likely. If you’re unable to find the problem yourself, hire a plumber for professional leak detection.
Chicago Water Damage Repair
Whether you’ve had a leak or flooding in your home via the roof or basement, The Grout Medic offers professional Chicago water damage repair. Avoid the risk of future problems by contacting us today! Request an appointment online or call 630-665-4768.