Overflowing bathtubs and leaky roofs aren’t the only potential causes of water damage. In fact, there are several things inside and outside of your home that could cause costly water damage. Here are 6 of the most common causes of residential water damage and what you can do to minimize your risk and prevent water damage.
6 Common Causes of Water Damage
- Leaky toilets. A toilet that runs non-stop is more than just annoying; it’s expensive! In addition to driving up your water bill, a toilet that runs constantly could spring a leak that will destroy your floors and wall. If you have a toilet that’s constantly running, determine the cause of the problem and fix it immediately.
- Garbage disposal leaks. A leaky garbage disposal will flood your cabinets and cause serious water damage. Replace any disposal that’s leaking around the bottom housing immediately.
- Washing machine line burst. Washing machine supply lines are under constant pressure to allow them to fill your washer with water quickly. As lines age, they become more prone to bursting. When that happens, your laundry room will become a flood zone. If you have older PVC or rubber supply lines, replace them with braided stainless steel lines to prevent this disaster.
- Water heater leaks. Since they’re often located in basements, water heater leaks commonly go undetected for several days – even weeks. Check your water heater frequently, especially if you have an older model. If it’s nearing the end of its lifespan or the bottom is getting rusty, consider replacing it before you have a problem.
- Burst pipes. During the winter months, cold temperatures can cause pipes to freeze and burst. Examine and insulate your pipes before winter takes hold to reduce your chance of experiencing a major flood.
- Sewer line backups. Water damage caused by a sewer line backup is especially nasty. If your toilet is flushing slowly or you’re noticing any other problem with your sewage system, contact a professional for sewer line repair immediately.
Chicago Water Damage Repair
Despite your best efforts, sometimes water damage is simply unavoidable. Accidents happen, and when they do, it’s important to know where to turn for the help you need. At The Grout Medic, we offer professional Chicago water damage repair to help you restore your home and prevent future problems, like mold growth.
If you’ve experienced water damage in your southwest Chicago home, contact The Grout Medic today for professional water damage repair in Chicago.